…and no, a shredded six-pack is (surprisingly) not one of them.
Over the past 10 years, technology has made us more sedentary in lifestyle. Why exercise when you can flip through over 6,000 movies and television shows on Netflix? You can zap a whole (sodium-infused) dinner in the microwave and scroll through the Internet for hours on end. (Doesn’t that sound like the ideal weekend?)
However, this sedentary lifestyle is the source of a plethora of health problems for today’s modern society ranging from Type 2 Diabetes to chronic joint pains to obesity. In 2013, the World Health Organization says worldwide obesity has doubled since 1980. Lucky for you, no expensive prescription is needed to prevent this: just exercise!
Here are 20 reasons why getting fit is the best decision you’ll ever make:
- You only have one body and you have to live in it for the rest of your life. Why not treat it with respect?
- Being active helps to boost your “good” cholesterol (high-density lipoprotein) and reduces your “bad” cholesterol.
- Exercise increases the release of endorphins, which boosts mood. (Hit the gym when you’re stressed or in a bad mood for instant relief!)
- Building muscle increases your body’s basal metabolic rate (BMR), so you can burn more calories while you’re resting. So get lifting those weights!
- Exercise boosts energy levels. Ironic, right? Working your heart and lungs releases more nutrients and oxygen into your bloodstream so more energy for you!
- Getting fit helps to prevent chronic health conditions, such as high cholesterol, obesity, and joint problems.
- You’ll look amazing in (and out of) clothes. ‘Nuff said.
- Exercise is a great bonding experience for friends and family. Volleyball, ballroom dancing, half-marathons…oh my!
- Getting fit can help boost your self-confidence. You hot thing, you.
- Speaking of being hot, exercise increases libido and puts the spice back into the bedroom. Meow.
- The chance of physical injury decreases. Strong muscles mean less pressure on major joints like knees.
- Reduced risk of cardiovascular problems, such as heart disease and stroke. Show your heart some love.
- This one’s for the ladies: being fit reduces the risk of getting osteoporosis. Weight training helps to build muscles which pull on the bone, forcing bones to become stronger and the chance of fragility and fractures is much less.
- Okay, okay. You’ll probably get a leaner, flatter stomach (maybe a six-pack!) due to less body fat.
- Insomniacs unite! Exercise helps improve sleep patterns.
- Depression and anxiety symptoms are reduced.
- You’ll look amazing in a bikini or those jeans you haven’t worn since ’87.
- You can have so much more fun in life! No more huffing and puffing during that soccer game or casual Saturday hike.
- You’ll live longer.
- You can be a source of inspiration for those who want to get fit, but don’t believe they can do it or need an extra push to get there. Feels good, huh?
So what made you decide to get fit? And if you haven’t started your journey yet, how will you #KickTheExcuse to get there?